A Glimpse of Spring: First Impressions
Spring has officially arrived. As the real estate market heats, up now is a good time to get your house ready to show. In my opinion, other than price, the showability and condition of the house are the most important aspects of obtaining an acceptable offer in a reasonable period of time.
As the old saying goes, “You only have one chance to make a good first impression” In today’s digital world that first impression is generally online. To paraphrase Rod Stewart, “Every Picture Tells a Story”
The first impression most people see "on-line" is the front of the house. Make it sparkle, especially as this is the yucky time of year when the grass is brown and the flowers are just starting to open up but have not bloomed yet.
Here are some ideas that I have shared with people:
- § A fall cleanup is beneficial, either by yourself or a landscape professional. Make sure the yard is neat, and the old dead flowers have been trimmed or removed.
- § Mulch. It is very inexpensive, provides uniformity and slows the growth of weeds.
- § Paint or power wash if possible. There are usually 3-4 day periods of weather warm enough to spot paint or power wash.
- § Clean up the yard. Just pick up any debris left over from the winter
- § Shovel the walk, steps, driveway and use salt and/or melting solution.
§ As the weather warms, do a spring cleanup. Same idea as above. New plants can be filled in, the beds dug, and new borders and more mulch added.
§ Lastly, think about landscaping. Usually a major landscape undertaking is not required, but adding a few bushes, annuals, creating nice borders and yes, adding more mulch, should do the trick. Sometimes just some nice potted plants by the entrance adds a splash of color and provides an inviting look.
There are many landscapers in the area who are aware of the plants that are suitable for our area. Some use more ornamental varieties, some specialize in native plants.
Let me take you on a tour of the spring market to help you find your dream home or contact me if you just want to know the sale price of your neighbors’ home. For over 25 years, we have been the Realtors of choice from Chicagoland to Dairyland! Contact me at 847-409-0850 or firstname.lastname@example.org or check out our website: www.delmontehomes.com